Oct 5, 2006

It has been awhile since I have blogged...life has been busy. I'm not even sure where to start to catch up on what the Pilling family has been up to.

I recently finished reading "Inside My Heart," by Robin McGraw. It is a MUST read. It is such an inspiring book. I couldn't put it down. It really made me stop and think and re-evaluate a few things in my life. It is a book that I know I will find myself referring back to and reading more than once. If you need a pick me up, or just a good inspirational book to read...this is the ONE!
Fall is here and I have found myself baking up a STORM. Last weekend we celebrated Thanksgiving with my family. We weren't able to get together for this coming weekend so we had it a week earlier. I found myself thinking while we were cleaning up a wonderful dinner, "What am I going to do with all these left over cranberries?" It seems no turkey dinner is complete without them, but we hardly make a dent in the can. So I decided to search for a recipe to use up the left overs. So yesterday I made these delectable little cranberry cheesecake squares. So YUMMY!
Here is the recipe:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats and 3/4 cup of brown sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of this mixture and press the remaining mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.
Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese with sweetened condensed milk until light and fluffy. Stir in the lemon juice and spread the mixture evenly over the prepared crust.
3. Empty the can of cranberry sauce into a small bowl and stir in the cornstarch and brown sugar. Spoon over the cream cheese layer. Sprinkle the top with the reserved crust mixture.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until top is golden. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Store covered in the refrigerator.
Tyson started soccer last Monday and he LOVED it. He kept telling Tyler and I that it was Super Dupper Fun! I am so happy he enjoyed himself. He can hardly wait for 2 weeks till his next game. Pictures to come.

1 comments:

Melanie said...

hmmmmmm those look yummy Jodi! Thanks for the recipe. My mom always makes too much cranberries too.........this will be a good thing!