Sep 16, 2009

There is BEAUTY All Around...

Last Saturday I went on a hiking trip with some ladies from our ward. I had been wanting to go for 2 weeks. I had arranged for a babysitter in case Tyler had to work and everything was set. With a minor set back the day before (had to find a new babysitter) I was still able to go. Yipee! I love hiking...or at least I have really started too. We took our kids to Waterton earlier this summer and did a few little hikes and we all enjoyed it so much. I think it was one of the highlights of my summer. I remember hiking as a kid and how much I enjoyed it. Something about being in the mountains makes me feel closer to my Heavenly Father. There is so much beauty out there! I am so thankful that I live close to the Rocky Mountains, where there is an abundance of beauty. I love the smell of walking through the forest. There is NOTHING like it! The Bear grass and wild flowers are so beautiful, and the peaceful sound of the mountains is so calming.
On Saturday we hiked to Victoria Falls in Glacier National Park. What a beautiful, easy hike it was. 10 km in a back of pure mountain splendor. There were so many waterfalls along the way. It really was breath taking. It was so much fun to visit with the sisters. I was the youngest one there and I gained so much info and knowledge from these seasoned sisters. We laughed lots and shared personal heart warming experiences. It was so nice to sit by the waterfall and eat lunch together. The cool breeze mixed with the hot sunshine was really refreshing after our 5km hike. As I was hiking I reflected on all the beauty that surrounds me daily. Not only in the mountains can we find beauty, it surrounds us in our homes through our children and our husbands. We can find beauty through our friends and acquaintances. We can find beauty in good music or by reading a good book. There is so much BEAUTY out there...sometimes I think we don't slow down enough to realize that it is right in front of us. So after being reminded of all the beauty there is around us, I have tried to make more of an effort to SLOW down and enjoy what we have been given. To make today a better day than tomorrow. To hug my kids MORE and tell my husband the I LOVE him more. Life is GREAT....why waste it?

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Hey Jodi!
I love checking in on your blog. Imagine my surprise today when I see in two of your hiking photos a picture of my sister-in-law!! Looks like you guys had great fun.

Say hi to Laura for me. : D

Jodi Pilling said...

that is so cool Lynn...yes I love Laura, she is always the life of the party. And make me laugh :)

Amy said...

I love that you used the word "seasoned" to describe the ladies older than you haha, I'll have to remember that one when I'm older.
Oh, and this was an "easy" hike? Well, that's my kind of hike, I'll have to check it out!
Oh, and you're beautiful!