
I was talking with a friend today and she told me that her family doesn't have TV. She told me her reasons for not having it and I just couldn't' have agreed with her more. I have been thinking lately that my kids watch WAY TO MUCH TV! It has become the easy babysitter, the go to electronic when the kids are bored and need something to do. It is the entertainer and occupies them for hours. I am embarrassed to even admit how much TV my 2 boys watch. So after talking with Janae I decided that we needed to put a STOP to the madness and cut out some of our TV watching.
So for FHE tonight I brought up the idea to the boys, Carson was oblivious to what we were talking about but Tyson knew exactly what we were doing...and he wasn't all that happy about it. Tyler and I agreed that we could try for 3 days without TV. I know that doesn't sound like a very long time...but in the Pilling household that is VERY LONG! We decided that if we completed the challenge then we would take the kids bowling which was their choice. I then told the kids that I was going to make a chart up with out challenge on it and that I would put an envelope of ideas attached to it. So if they were struggling with something to do and needed and idea they could take something out of the envelope and do that activity. I know that this is going to require a lot more from me cause lots of the activities they can't do by themselves. But I think it will be good to be active with my kids more. The house work will have to be put on hold at times, but teaching my children there is more to LIFE than watching TV is WAY more important.
There were several websites I found that focused on cutting out TV. They gave lots of good ideas of what you could do instead. So I have made a list and hopefully some of the activities will interest the kids.
Not only will this be a hard challenge for the boys, but it will be for Tyler and I as well. I DO NOT watch TV during the day. I haven't for MONTHS. I can't even begin to tell you what was on Oprah or Dr.Phil, and there is NO way I could update you on the most popular Soap Opera, but ask me about reality TV, or the hottest drama on at night and I could probably tell you. After I get the kids in bet I usually get in bed myself and watch TV for a few hours before falling asleep. Tyler and I have a TV in our bedroom...some may think this is CRAZY...some may not. We have always had a TV in our room and I like it that way. So with this little challenge I'm not sure how well I will do...but I am going to give it an honest try. So tonight is my last night for the next 3 that I can watch TV. Too bad it isn't Thursday night...my favorite TV night. Oh well...it will be worth the sacrifice. I'm sure this will give Ty and I a better opportunity to communicate and spend some quality time together. I guess we will be missing out on the hockey game tomorrow night...which will be hard for DH. OH well...nothing like a good old challenge!
So my question to you is...how much TV do you let your kids watch? Do you limit the amount of time? Do you monitor what they watch? Just curious as to what other families do in this situation.
And now for a CUTE picture of my little Gracie...I only wish I had a better camera...Christmas is coming though.
And here are my 3 kiddos together. This was taken on Sunday...our Primary Presentation. It was seriously the BEST presentation ever. I was so proud of my kids...they both did a GREAT job!
I LOVE this picture of the 3 of them...but I took it in front of the glass doors on the fireplace and you can see my reflection in them. I wish I knew how to edit that in photoshop. I want to add a patterned background to the picture...but don't know how. Does anyone know how to do that? I wish I had better photoshop skills. LOL! If you know how...and want to help this momma out...that would be GREAT! I would love to use this picture of our Christmas cards...but that background will NOT due!
Wish us luck with our little challenge...and I'll keep you updated. It could be a very HARD day tomorrow with 2 kids home from school...with NO TV!



4 comments:
Jodi good luck with your challenge I should really do that. I was seriously thinking of that this morning {as I turned on a movie for mase} how it is such a babysitter sometimes. I too am embarrassed to say how much my kids watch tv in the morning two of them anyway.
Love the pics of you kids they are so cute! Wish I could figure photoshop out too I have elements 6 but can't figure a thing out on it! sad! Well the link works now on my blog I was in the process of trying to figure it out when you commented. And yes being there in Germany was a dream come true but it sure makes you realize what wickedness took place and how thankful I am to live where we do! It made everything I had ever learned about so real, yet being in the places those things took place it was an incrediable feeling and overwhelming too at points.
Well have a great week! ttys
I hate to say that my kids watch all together too much television as well. You are a much braver woman than me! Good luck with no TV for the next few days!
Wow, good luck with that one! You are a brave woman! haha. I totally agree with you though. Macy is only a year and half and she already runs into the living room and turns on the TV and plunks herself down??? Can't wait to hear how the challenge went!
K seriously you go GIRL ! Did you purposly plan NOT to do it on Thursday...LOL so you could watch all your shows ? So funny. Hope it works for you.
Post a Comment