Nov 11, 2008

Baby Mia...

I have been following this blog for a week or so now. In the beginning my heart ached for this family and for the trial they were going through. I can't imagine having a baby that was critically ill and in need of a heart transplant. In my mind their outcome seemed to be a pretty inevitable one...their little girl would not make it to see her 1st birthday. With so many other babies on the waiting list for a new heart...all in the same hospital it seemed their chance of getting one was quite slim. But as I read their blog tonight, which I haven't in a few days, things have dramatically changed. Their prayers have been answered and their baby girl got a new heart! What a miracle! I can't imagine their relief in knowing that their daughter now has a fighting chance at a normal life. That she can recover and live a full and fulfilling life!
While one family is rejoicing over this wonderful answer to prayer, I can't help but think of another family who is heartbroken at the loss of their child. They will never get to see their child grow to maturity, to hold them and sooth them to sleep. But I hope and pray that they can take comfort in knowing that through their loss another family has been given hope that thier child will live a long and full life. This really is a bitter sweet situation.
A week or so ago friends set up a way for people to donate money to this family who was facing a very heavy financial burden to care for their daughter. I can't believe the support of so many...most of whom are total strangers. There definitely is power in numbers. I don't know the amount that was raised and that doesn't matter, but to know that there is still SO much good in the world. It seems we only focus on all the negative things effecting us. The media, TV, movies, Internet etc. that we don't actually take time to think about all the good that is going on around us..and all over the world. This is just one example...I'm sure there are many!

Now that I have read of this good news it just reiterates to me how bless I am to have healthy, happy children. As I was putting Grace to bed tonight she was screaming at the top of her lungs, I have NEVER heard a baby scream like she does, it literally makes my ears ring, but tonight...I am SO thankful for those little lungs. That they work as they should, and that she has the energy to produce such a scream. I am so thankful for my little boys who tell me that they love me. I am so thankful that Carson can hear and that having tubes in his ears has helped him SO much! I am very grateful to live in a time where there are so many medical miracles. 20 or so years ago baby Mia would not have been able to have a heart transplant...technology has come SO far in the medical world!

p.s. The NO TV challenge went quite well today. Carson did get up and go downstairs and turn it on, but was quickly reminded by Tyson that we couldn't watch TV. I did let them watch a movie as we were driving to Cardston, but I could justify that because it was a movie...not TV, and I was monitoring it. The NO TV for the parents...isn't working out so good though...Tyler is watching the hockey game right now. LOL!

0 comments: