Nov 7, 2008

Remembering....

This morning as Tyson was heading out the door to school he reminded me of his school assembly at 9:00 a.m. YIKES! I had just barley gotten out of bed because Tyler let me sleep in...so I was NO where near being ready to head out the door to the school. With 1/2 an hour till the assembly I hopped in the shower got my "face" put on and dressed and out the door JUST IN TIME! We weren't even late for the assembly...thank goodness they were running a little late. I normally don't go to the assemblies but this month the grade 1 classes were putting it on so I wanted to go and support Tyson. I am SO glad that Tyler and I were able to go. It was a Remembrance Day program and it got me to thinking...
Normally I don't think about the war that is raging on the other side of the world. I seem to be to wrapped up in my own little "wars" here at home. Life is so busy with all the activities the kids are involved in, with church and family obligations. Because we live in a country where we are FREE I tend to forget that some people aren't! Today helped me to remember how lucky I am to live in Canada, a land of freedom and of choice. It is only because of brave men and women that we continue to live in freedom today. I am SO thankful to them, for their willingness to lay down their lives for the freedom of so many. We truly are blessed that we don't live in a war ravaged country. That men and women are treated as equal. Do we really know the significance in that! I have read many books about the Middle East and what the women face there. My little petty trials are NOTHING compared to what those poor women go through every single day of their lives. I know that I take it for granted that I have so many freedoms!
Today during the program we were reminded about all those who have sacrificed so much for us. They played THIS video...and it was so touching. Take a minute to watch it ...you won't be disappointed.
I was very proud of Tyson as he sang his song today. He did a GREAT job. On November 11th is Remembrance Day, I hope we can all take a bit of time to reflect on all that has been sacrificed so that we can live in a peaceful country today. I remember as a child the poem "In Flanders Fields" was always read around this time of year. I can still almost recite the whole poem from memory.
In Flanders Fields
by John McCrae, May 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep,though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Don't forget to donate a small amount of money and purchase a Poppy. They are a symbol of all that has been lost, and all that was gained because of it. When you see poppies think about how lucky you are to live where you do and in a time of peace here in Canada.
Let us NEVER forget...

1 comments:

Andy said...

Wow, Jodi. Great post. I too am guilty of not taking the time to remember. My kids have sure been talking about the things they have been learning about the war (past and present) and it sure makes me realize how grateful I am to live in Canada!