So today I had a friend stop by with her kids and they stayed for a little visit. During the course of the visit the 5 year old says to me, "Jodi why don't you like xxxxx's mom?" She told me that her friend told her that I didn't like her friends mom. I then told her that wasn't true and she should tell the little girl that. Then I got to thinking...okay where has this little girl heard this from? And who in their right mind would say that to a 5 year old so she could go and tell all her little friends. Now if I am completely honest here what the little girls said is partially true. I don't dislike her mom, I just choose not to associate with her because of past experiences. It isn't like I'm not nice and cordial to this mom, but I just choose to distance myself from her. If I don't care for a person I certainly DO NOT tell my kids that so they can go and tell their friends. I was just kind of shocked at the immaturity of this mother to be speaking like that around her daughter who then goes and tells a daughter of a really good friend of mine. I know this is probably so confusing cause I am not using names...but that doesn't' matter. You get my point. Sometimes I don't think we watch what we say around our kids enough. They seem to be little sponges and pick up on everything. I have noticed this a lot lately with Tyson. He will ask me questions about money cause he has heard me talking to Tyler about it. He will ask me how much $200 is and if that is enough for groceries. LOL! On one hand it is kinda cute how he is so concerned if we have enough money and on the other hand it makes me sad that he has over heard these types of grown up conversations. It bothers me that a 6 year old is concerned about our families finances. It has really made me take a step back and think about what I am talking about in front of my kids. I don't want to take away their childhood with adult concerns. I also don't think it is right that we put our opinions of people on our children. I have always said to Tyson in the morning before he goes to school, "Be a good friend to everyone." I really want him to follow this council. And until he is old enough to know how to handle adult situations and relationships I want him to always live by that rule. So there is my little vent or rant for the day. Sorry to bore you to death, but I just wanted to get it off my chest and now I have...enough said about the subject!
Jun 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
oh i totally agree, totally inappropriate. Some people really don't seem how much kids do pick up, and it's so sad. Thanks for the remidner though, we all need to be careful what we say!
My friend tells her daughter, that there are some people that have different values and morals to us, we do not have to be best friends with them, but you have to be kind. I thought that was nice. There are some people, that really are better off been distant from, for whatever reasons, i agree. They do not make your like a healthy enviroment for whatever reason.
Isn't is so sad that a little 5yr old would pick up on that.. so sad :(
I wholeheartedly agree with you Jodi.
Post a Comment