May 21, 2007

The Good...then the Bad!

On Friday Tiffany and I took a spur of the moment trip to Calgary to take the kids to the zoo. We are notorious for doing things on the fly. I think those are the best trips sometimes. The day wasn't the most sunny but we decided to go anyway. Needless to say when we got there it was on 11+ degrees. A bit chilly, especially for our kiddos who were dressed so CUTE in their shorts and light jackets. Oh well they still wanted to go and so we did. It was actually a perfect day for the zoo because it wasn't too crowded. The kids enjoyed looking at all the animals. Tyson couldn't wait to see the crocodile, his favorite animal in the whole zoo. It didn't take us very long to visit each exhibit. Carson enjoyed the zoo for the first time. We have taken him before but he was too little to really "get" it. He loved the lion's and the monkeys. Here are a few pictures of the kids:
It was a great day! But I think we will visit the zoo again before the summer is over, hopefully on a sunnier day!
Now for the bad of our week. It was Saturday and we spent all morning in Lethbridge with my mom shopping. We had a really fun time. We went to the greenhouse and bought some flower and plants to put in the yard. So when we got home I started planting them and the kids were playing outside. All of a sudden Tyson comes crying and saying that he hurt himself. Sure enough he had cut open his lip on the inside, and there was a huge gash. Tiffany was over and said that he probably needed a stitch and to walk over to the hospital. So off to the hospital we went. I was surprised that it really wasn't bleeding all that badly, and he didn't act like it hurt all that bad. So when the Dr. got there he said that yes it needed a stitch. They put a bit of topical freezing on but it didn't really work all that well. Tyson has never in his life screamed like that before. We had to hold him down and it was the hardest thing ever for me to do! When the Dr. would try and open his mouth he would shout, "NEVER, " and not open up. Then we would say, "They are trying to KILL me!!" and that they were going to make it worse and not help him. It was VERY traumatic for my little 4.5 year old. I could tell he was trying to be brave but he was very scared. Then he needed ANOTHER stitch and after the 1st on Tyson knew what he was in for. So the Dr. tried to give him some local anesthetic but when Tyson saw the needle there was NO way he was going to let him put it in his mouth. So the drama started ALL over again. This time they waited a bit longer for the topical anesthetic to work, and I think it did, but Tyson still cried. Then it was over...or so we thought, and off we went home. About a few hours later though I noticed that the stitches had come out!! Yes they came untied! So of we went to the hospital again for another dose of crying. But this time he was much better. The nurse was very kind and she kept the topical anesthetic on a very long time to make sure he was good and numb. But he still remembers how it was the 1st time and it took awhile before we could convince him that he wouldn't be able to feel it. Finally the Dr. was able to stitch it again and got the gash better this time and he only needed 1 stitch. I was so proud of Tyson for how brave he was, and he was looking forward to the new Transformer he was going to get. So the ordeal was over and off we went home again. The next day at church he was so proud to show everyone his stitch and to tell them the story of how he got it. I found it so ironic though because Tyler and I were just talking with some friends about how surprised we were that Tyson had never broken anything or had to have stitches. I guess we spoke too soon!


0 comments: