Jan 14, 2009

I Will Miss...

I can't believe that Grace is over 6 months old. It just seems like yesterday I was going to the hospital to have her...and here we are 6 months later. Yesterday I took her to the health unit for her 6 month shots. He now weights 14.4 lbs (20th %) and I can't remember her height but she was just over the 50th % for that. She is definitely my fastest growing baby by far! I think both the boys were well over 9 months before they hit 15lbs, and even know Carson only weighs 26lbs and he is 4!

With Grace getting older and achieving so many things like going on a bottle, getting 2 teeth, eating baby food, I have really been thinking about my life and how this part of it is over. There will be no more babies, no more breastfeeding, no more toothless grins. In a way I am so sad for this season in my life to end, but excited at the same time for the next phase of life to continue. I am excited and looking forward to not buying diapers anymore and more excited to not have to change them. LOL! I am excited to watch Grace grow and develop into a toddler and to hear her first words. There are so many 1st that 1st year of life for a baby and each milestone is so exciting! Along will new milestones comes things that will never be new again like the first time she rolls over (which she hasn't done yet.) or the first time they talk or walk. As each phase of life changes I am sure there will be things that I will miss and one of them for me is I think will be breastfeeding my babies. Although it isn't easy for all women I guess I was a lucky one and never had any problems with any of my kids. They were all good nursers. And even though nursing your baby "ties" you down more and can be a bit restricting the positives way out weight the negatives. What I mostly enjoy about nursing is that time between them and I and the bond I it brings. I love the middle of the night feedings where Grace is cuddled up next to me in bed and she is nursing and I am just content in knowing that I am providing her with what she needs and that I have something that can easily sooth her. She isn't completely done nursing yet...but quickly getting there.
I remember when I was newly married and saw mom's nursing how I swore I would NEVER nurse in public and how that was just obscene. WOW has my view changed. For those that know me they will know that I nurse everywhere...no situation stops me. Mind you I am discreet and cover up, which I think is appropriate. I remember nursing in Wal-Mart sitting on one of those benches they have sporadically in the store and a women came up to me and said, "good for you nursing your baby in here." I said, "well it is just natural for me and if people don't like it, it is their problem. Plus would they rather listen to her scream?" I thought about our society and how breastfeeding seems to have a negative affect on people...especially in public. I just have to say GET OVER IT! This is what Heavenly Father designed women's bodies to do and it is our way of providing nourishment to our babies. Enough said about breastfeeding...you can see I am an advocate for it and I will never have negative feelings towards it like I first did. I realize that not all women are able to nurse their babies, and I don't hold that against anyone, or for those women who just choose not to. Sometimes it just works and clicks with mother & baby, and sometimes it doesn't and no one needs to feel like a bad mother because of it. I am just thankful that it worked out for me.

So here is a picture of my little princess Grace at 6 months old. Her teeth aren't quite in far enough for you to see them yet. This little baby has brought so much joy into our family. Tyson keeps saying he can't wait for her to start walking so he can play with her. Grace truly does have the BEST big brothers in the world!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Love the picture of Grace...HELLO photoshop. LOL.

Amy said...

Awww, your last baby. Brett's 2 but he can stay my baby forever.
I know whay you mean about teeny kids that don't gain weight. My kids need pants with either belt loops or adjustable waist bands.

Andy said...

Wow, we really are on the same page this week! I share so many of those same thoughts and feelings.
... and I also have a four year old who weighs only 26 lbs!! Crazy, hey?!

Oh, and Grace? Absolutely gorgeous.

Christal said...

what a beautiful girl!! love the pic! hope your having a good week!ttys

Anonymous said...

Your baby girl is beautiful!