May 6, 2009

I'm BACK...

It seems like it has been a VERY long time since I have blogged. Don't you just find that sometimes life gets SO busy and you neglect certain things? Well one of those things for me is definitely blogging. When life gets busy it is the farthest thing from my mind. So here I am catching up on a few things that have been happening. Carson is at my sisters (thanks Tiff!) and Grace is napping so what better time to catch up.

We had a VERY eventful trip down to Provo, Utah for Women's Conference. I spent the few days prior to leaving cleaning the house, folding ALL the laundry, making meals, and writing out the 4 page agenda for Tyler. LOL! So we headed out for the 12 hour drive on Wednesday morning at 7:30. When we got to the boarder the patrol officer said we might want to stick around for a while as there was a severe storm in the area. Us being stubborn (me) decided that we would just push on through and drive slow. I wasn't about to miss my trip that I had been planning for for so long and have everything arranged just because of a little snow. Well it turned out to be A LOT of snow...and VERY bad roads. So bad in fact they closed down the interstate at Shelby and weren't letting ANY traffic through. Bound and determined as we were we decided to wait out the storm for awhile at the Town Pump gas station. We met several friendly truckers who informed us that this was the worst storm in 20 years. Yes it was VERY VERY bad. I have never driven on roads so horrible. We did manage to meet up with another lady who was travelling by herself back home to Utah and she became our travelling companion. My mom kept saying over and over that "things happen for a reason." Maybe meeting Janeene and helping her get home safely was the reason our trip was delayed? After 7 hours of waiting...they finally opened up the interstate and we made it to Great Falls...luckily.
(Waiting in the truck stop playing cards.)
The roads were still very treacherous. We were happy to be somewhere we could at least shop! After some retail therapy and a good meal we settled into a nice hotel room for a much needed rest. The next morning we headed out again...a day later than planned and made it to Utah save and sound.
(Finally on BYU campus. This was our dorm...JAIL...LOL!)
Although we missed one day of the conference we were still happy to be surrounded by so many LDS women and we could feel the spirit of the conference immediately. Even though we didn't make it to all the classes we wanted to go to I know that the classes I did make it to impacted me and taught me things I needed to know.



(Concert at the Marriot Center on Thursday night...it was AWESOME!)
Here are some things that I learned:

Julie B. Beck said, "Every mother should produce a superior daughter."

Joseph F. Smith said "NO love in ALL the world can equal that of a true mother."

All of Eve's children were NOT perfect but she was glad to be a MOTHER!

Humor is mostly needed and the most neglected in families.

We shouted for joy to come to this earth and now we are so depressed with everyday things.

Life is seldom fair...Fair is where you go to see the pigs.

Wrinkles indicate where SMILES have been.

And the all time highlight of the conference for me was seeing this video of President Hinckley.


It was a great trip despite the little obstacles. Tyler did a wonderful job at taking care of the kids. I am so thankful that he was willing to take time off work so that I could go and get my spiritual bucket filled....it was near empty! There were just a few minor things that happened while Tyler was taking care of the kids. 1st day he made the Easy Mac in Tyson's thermos in the microwave = thermos "blowing up." I had made a meal plan for what to send Tyson to school everyday for lunch. Tyler texts me and says that he should have followed the meal plan but changed it and sent PB & J sandwich to school and Tyson's school is a nut FREE school. He didn't know that but he learned his lesson and said that from now on he will follow the meal plan to the T. LOL!
It was great to bond with my mom & sisters and Lori. We all got along SO well and laughed A LOT! (sorry mom) Now I am anxious to put what I learned into action and see what kind of results I get from my family.

4 comments:

Rayanna Hogg said...

Sounds like you had a great and very eventful trip!!

Amy said...

I'm glad you made it safe and sound there and back, and had a fun yet spiritual time!

Naomi said...

Hey, it was a great surprise to see you visit our blog! Thanx for leaving a comment. Sounds like quite an eventful trip one that I probably would have given up and headed back home. It sounds like stickin' it out and plowing through to Utah sure paid off. What a fun trip for you, your sisters and mom and it sounds like Tyler had an eventful time himself too. Hilarious! I've never been to a women's conference but it sounds like I better plan on going sometime in the future.

Jessie said...

We went to Rexburg on Friday and I couldn't believe all of the snow on the sides of the road all through Montana! Too bad you got caught in it! But at least you were able to get to Utah and enjoy your weekend!