Sep 17, 2006

It Is All In Your Attitude...

How happy or miserable you are in life really comes down to your attitude. It really doesn't matter what situation you are faced with, how you handle it really is determined by your attitude. I'm sure you know of someone in your life that is very optimistic, always has something positive to say, and always looks on the bright side of situations. They look at their glass as being half full instead of being half empty. Then there are people who are always negative, they are depressed and have no hope of a brighter tomorrow. Lately, I have been finding myself somewhere in the middle but leaning more to the negative side. Life hasn't been very easy or pleasant for me, or atleast that is how I have been seeing it. I don't want to focus on the negative, I have had a change of heart and have decided that I need a major attitude change.
On Sunday I introduced the song "You Can Make Your Pathway Bright," from the LDS song book. It is all about attitude and how we can make life happier by out attitude. It hit me, that I control how happy or unhappy I am. Now I know that being completely happy 100% of the time is a very unrealistic thing to happen, but I can try and have a more positive attitude in general. So that is MY challenge. Look more on the positive side, see my glass as half full instead of empty. I know that this attitude change won't come over night, but gradually and with help from a more divine power than my own, I know that I can make a more positive change in my life.
Tonight for Family Home Evening I had a lesson on just that...being happy. I presented Tyson with 2 characters, Miserable Mack and Happy Henry. Each one was faced with different situations where they could make a happy choice or a miserable choice. Tyson seemed to grasp the concept. At the end of the lesson I presented a challenge to him, if he could be a Happy Henry all week until Saturday then we could do something special as a family. He chose to have movie night together, complete with a movie picked by him, popcorn, treats, and his favorite POP. This will be a challenge for my little 4 year old who has been struggling lately with obeying and listening. For every time he isn't happy he gets a body part taken away from Happy Henry. He can earn them back by being extra good, but it will be harder. At the end of the week if all the pieced to Happy Henry are on the fridge, then we have movie night...and if not...we don't. Tyson fully understands the rules, now I hope we have a successful week. I guess we will see.

0 comments: