Jan 14, 2010

I Have Everything...But the Kitchen Sink...LITERALLY!

Kids, aren't they GREAT! They bring us so much joy and happiness but I have learned along the way that you CAN'T have nice things with a small growing family! Does anyone else feel like this? Thankfully I don't have many horror stories to tell about how destructive my little munchkins have been, but I have a few.
Our latest incident was how our oldest broke the kitchen faucet. It wasn't totally his fault and the tap was getting harder to turn on and swivel from sink to sink, but never the less he put the final touches on it and now it is broken. No big deal right...wrong. Do you know how expensive a new one is? More money than I was planning on spending right now. But I can't go without water in the kitchen and especially since my dishwasher has been broken for almost 6 months! That is another story...LOL! So my handy (not really) husband took it all apart the other day with intentions that I would go and buy one in the morning, which I did...and got the wrong one. There were SO many and I had no idea if it was a 3 hole or a 1 hole installation. I quickly found out that he sent a woman to do a man's job! So I bought what I thought was the right faucet with the help of a Home Depot employee and headed for home with high hopes that I would be able to wash the breakfast dishes. Well that didn't happen. I didn't buy the hose I needed...didn't know I needed it, and the faucet didn't fit with out sink. So unfortunately I didn't get running water. But the dishes DID get washed! Mind you I had to haul water from the bathtub to the kitchen sink. And while I was doing this it made me reflect on what life would have been like as a pioneer. They didn't know the luxury of having running water in their home. They either had to fetch it from the well or the nearest lake or river. The didn't have the convenience of turning the tap to hot or cold. I didn't complain about having to haul water to the kitchen. As I hauled the 3 buckets of hot water to the kitchen, I had thoughts of thank fullness. I was thankful that I knew that in another day I would once again have running water, that I had a husband that could install the new faucet. That I had the luxury of HOT water when ever I wanted it, I didn't have to boil my water to bathe my kids or have a drink of clean water. How often we take such little, simple, everyday things for granted.

Later last night I was also very thankful for indoor plumbing! As I became ill and spent 1/2 the night throwing up I just couldn't imagine being a pioneer. It isn't fun being sick, but to be sick living on the prairie, in the wilderness, in a tent seems so much more worse! I was also very thankful to have a husband who holds the Priesthood. As I travelled back and forth from my bed to the bathroom I couldn't remember feeling so terrible. The thought came into my mind that I should as Tyler to give me a blessing. Then thought like, "you shouldn't wake him he has to get up early, " came into my mind. And still the nagging thought that I should ask him to do it was stronger. I am so happy that I did and that we was willing to get up and give me one. I knew that his sweet words and through the priesthood power I was able to feel better and get a few hours of sleep before my kids woke up.

I guess I learned a lot yesterday. To be thankful for all those little things. To not take everyday luxuries for granted. And to rely on a power greater than myself.


3 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh my!!! So many tests all in one night. Hope it all gets fixed and you feel MUCH better soon!

I just realized something........it's true what they say.....we certainly can learn to appreciate a lot through our trials. You are amazing to have recognized all those lessons and blessings so soon afterwards.....or even DURING them.

Great post!

Christal said...

wow you've had a lot to deal with! I hope your feeling better and that the kitchen sink gets fixed sooner then later! hang in there!

Amy said...

Oh, I COMPLETELY understand the frustration of being at the hardware store to pick something up for the hubby, and not knowing if it's the right thing. I REALLY despise being asked by him to pick stuff up. I hope your sink, and maybe even your dishwasher, get fixed a.s.a.p. Yep, we are so blessed to have the conveniences we do, and good for you for realizing it even when all you want to do is scream. And kudos to you for asking for a blessing, I need to do that more.