I find that way to often I am TOO busy to take the extra time with my kids. I find myself saying over and over again..."In just a minute," and then letting the minute come and go and forget what it was I was supposed to do for one of them. Every where around me there are things to be done...laundry, dishes, meals to cook and then clean up, bed to make, floors to sweep, the dishwasher to unload, the school work to go through, the toilets to clean & the mirrors to polish. Everyday is different and yet so much the same. My morning routine is pretty much the same everyday with out much variation. (even as I write this Carson is reminding me that I promised to put a movie on for him...this is about the 10th time he has asked...) This morning as I got Tyson off to school and started cleaning up the breakfast mess I tried to put Grace down for a nap. She wouldn't have it. She has been teething and just wants to be snuggled. So I took the time to sit down and just rock her. She usually doesn't like to fall asleep in my arms but today she just loved being snuggled by mom...so that was what I did. As I sat there and looked at her sweet angelic face I realize how quickly she is growing and how fast the time has gone. I also began to feel quite guilty for not taking more time to just play with my kids and leave all of the OTHER stuff for later. There will always be superficial things to do that have do be done everyday and over and over, but the time we have with our kids is so precious. I remember when I had both boys home everyday all day long and how LONG and drawn out some of those days felt. Now Tyson is in school full time and he sees his teacher more than me. I feel jealous of her and how much time she gets to spend with MY child. He has even caught himself a few times calling ME Mrs. Kerr. Carson is now in pre-school and his time with me is also getting shortened. I remember the days when I couldn't wait for the kids to be in school...I am finding now that I miss all of our time together. It was great to have the kids home all week last week. We really didn't do much but it was just nice to have them home. They each had a few play dates and really played well together. It was nice to have Tyler home too and just have some good old quality time as a family. Our time to so very precious to each one of us. We really don't know how much TIME we have on this earth. Will it really matter how clean our house was, or if the laundry was all caught up? Or do you think it would be better to know that when our kids asked us to do a puzzle with them, or read them a story that we stopped what we were doing and gave them our attention? I want my kids to remember that their mom was a devoted mother, that I took the time to listen and to love them each individually. I really don't think that a 6 1/2, 4, & 7 month old really care if there are a few dishes in the sink. What I hope they remember is the TIME I took to snuggle them, to listen to their frustrations & to comfort them when they were hurt of sad. So I am going to challenge myself...the next time anyone of my kids is wanting my TIME I will drop what I am doing and give it to them. This may not come easy for me...but our TIME is so short and I want to make the most of it!
Now for something kinda fun! I found this on my friend's blog and thought I would give it a try. Follow the instructions if you want to PLAY.
A Gift for You
For all of my blog readers I am offering a gift to you!
For all of my blog readers I am offering a gift to you!
This offer does have some restrictions and limitations:
I make no guarantees that you will like what I make!
What I create will be just for you.
You may get this gift in a week or a month...
You have no clue what it's going to be. It may be something crafty or store bought...but it will be something FABULOUS!
When you get the gift post a picture with you & the gift on YOUR blog
Now for what you have to do:
Be a FOLLOWER of my blog
- Post a comment on why you like reading my blog
- You have to OFFER this GIFT on your blog.
You have until FRIDAY to post and then I will pick 2 winners! Sounds pretty fun eh? Okay lets see how many posts I can get for this...



2 comments:
Great POST, I so feel like this some days...well most days...that I am running here and there cleaning and such and sometimes I feel so guilty not taking the time that is so needed. Thanks for the inspiration to be a little better. I think I am going to take the challenge too and just see how my kiddos react when I do what they ask the first time. Maybe that will help them to listen better too.....you never know.
Why I love reading your blog....hmmm well because you are my sister and bestest friend. I LOVE reading your blog. I get to read the details of events I partook of , or some of your personal insights to life...in a nut shell I love it !
Love this post. something that I think everyone works on. TIME!!! I find myself saying that a lot to madi, in a minute, really meaning I probably won't end up doing it. Good thing children are forgiving. Good thing we can have a second chance. thanks for the reminder. You always have great insights to just the things that matter in life...
thanks!!! (that is why I like reading your blog)
Post a Comment