Sometimes in life there are things we say that would have been better to have left them UNSAID! I can't count how many times I have had situations like this. I find myself on a daily basis thinking, "Why on earth did I say that?" And of course it is always AFTER I have said it. I remember my mother telling me as a child that "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!" Why is this concept so hard for me to implement in my daily life? I find myself saying things to Tyler, my children, family members, and friends things that I know I am going to regret, but I say them anyway without thinking first. I have always admired people who choose their words carefully. My husband is very much that way. I can honestly say that he has never spoken an unkind word towards me, or said things that he has regretted. He is that way with everyone, and I admire that quality in him.
Then there are the times when OTHERS have said things that we wish they would have left UNSAID. We are so quick to get offended and let our feelings be hurt. I had one of those experiences today. I guess I was both on the receiving end and also on the giving end of things that I wish weren't said, and things that I wish I wouldn't have said. Needless to say both parties left the situation with hurt feelings and flames coming out of their ears. I wish I could have avoided this situation and handled it better! I find that my emotions get the best of me and I don't stop and think before opening my mouth. A bad trait that has gotten me into trouble more than once.
Then comes the process of forgiveness and letting it GO. Will it really matter tomorrow? Will it bring hurt feelings that really don't need to be there? In my situation it was over reacting on both parties. Looking back on it, it really was so stupid! So after a couple of hours when we had both had time to cool off, it was time to say, "I'm sorry." Things are fine now, and back to normal now., but wouldn't it have been better to have avoided the situation all together? YES it would have. So that is my goal for the coming week, THINK BEFORE I SPEAK! I found this cute poem and I think it sums it up pretty good.
“Before you speak, listen.
Before you write, think.
Before you spend, earn.
Before you invest, investigate.
Before you criticize, wait.
Before you pray, forgive.
Before you quit, try.
Before you retire, save.
Before you die, give.”



1 comments:
Oh i totally know what you mean... I try so hard to always think before I speak.... I try anyways. One quote that always sticks out to me is, "Speak when you are angry, and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret". So true.
Post a Comment