Mar 16, 2006

Tuckered Out...

Have you ever been so deliriously tired, where nothing, not even a thunder storm, earthquake, or 100 km/hour winds will wake you? This was the case with Tyson (picture on the left). He played SO hard that beautiful summer day that when it was time for supper he climbed on top of the picnic table and fell asleep. We tried and tired, but to no avail we could NOT wake him. We tried bribing him with his favorite "sour" pop, asked him if he wanted candy, but still nothing, no response. Tyler even tried to tease him by telling him that there was a bee close to him. The bees were SO horrible and Tyson and Tyler were both unfortunate and were stung. But even THAT didn't stir this sleeping child. As I scrapbooked this LO over the past 2 days...yes 2 days, (I know it isn't anything fancy, but I just couldn't get it to look right), I thought about times in my life where I have been so exhausted. There were many long nights while I stayed up studying for a test to get my Dental Assistants Certificate. Also many times I was exhausted from staying up all night hanging out with roommates, and then waking early to go to class. Then came the long nights while Tyler and I were dating. It didn't seem to bother us to stay up to 3 and 4 a.m. just to be together, and then wake up and go to work only a few short hours later. Those were the "good old days," when we were falling in love, and everyday was exciting. We would sacrifice anything to spend one more minute together. For me back then, being exhausted and tired all the time was worth it, and plus I was younger and my body adjusted to the lack of sleep. Then came marriage, which was and still is GREAT! Every day was a new day, finding out about each other, adjusting to being together all the time and learning each others quirks. There were many exhausting nights staying up talking, watching t.v. or going out with friends and family. Then there was work to add to all the "wifely" duties, and that took some getting used too. Then babies came along, and I finally got a clearer and more defined picture of what true delirious exhaustion was! Late nights, early morning, NO sleep for days on end, crying babies, sick babies, and babies who think that during the day they should sleep and at night they should be awake. But it was and still is SO worth it. I wouldn't trade in all of my lost sleep for anything. Those late nights spent rocking a crying baby are precious moments. Now my 1st baby isn't a baby anymore, and there aren't many moments when I can rock him like I did when he was little. I'm sure there will be many more nights where exhaustion will set in because of staying up late to fix the perfect snack for pre-school, or getting the perfect Halloween costume finished, or helping a child with a school project. I'm sure I will loose plenty of sleep because of worry for my children, and waiting up for them. But how important is sleep, or lack of when you are loosing it for a greater cause? Isn't there always another day when you can play catch up? My favorite day to catch up on much needed rest is Sunday. What a better day could there be to just relax? After spending the morning in worship, then to come home and contemplate how you have been uplifted by a Sunday service, then to have the whole family enjoy a peaceful, sleep filled afternoon. There is nothing better than laying on the couch with the sunshine coming in through the window while enjoying a peaceful, tranquil moment of sleep. It is in that moment, that makes the lack of sleep, and utter exhaustion WORTH IT!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today is Sunday...it is a clear beautiful day out....after a nice waffle breakfast I had to lay down on the couch and take a sweet nap!! Ahhhhh, so nice!! Love your lo{s}...you have such a way with color!!!!!
PS...the chipboard letters are Heidi Swapp, the boxed one's...just cut down a bit!!!

Jenna said...

Wow, that is so true. Loved reading about losing sleep for a greater cause... powerful.

Such a cute layout!